Cox, a former editor at Organic Gardening magazine, has been promoting organics since long before it was fashionable. Using his 30 years of organics knowledge in this guide-cum-cookbook, he attempts to untangle, for the average consumer, the confusing mess of what to eat. Readers will find concrete advice in this basic primer: the science of organic farming is followed by a product-by-product guide to organically farmed foods that can be found in the market. Organized by food group (vegetables, fruits, protein, etc.), each food is broken down by season—how to shop for it, the reason to buy the organic version, and a simple recipe or two that showcases the strength of the main ingredient. The best answer for the health of humans and the health of the planet is to buy everything organic, and the eventual redundancy of the “organic advantage” paragraph on each food reveals just that; there are only so many ways to explain that the product tastes better and that the farming method doesn’t destroy the soil. The best parts of the book are the informational inset boxes; Cox is knowledgeable about all the food issues facing consumers and these boxes—including information on mad cow, local agriculture, fair trade and food labeling—showcase his expertise. (Feb.) (Publishers Weekly, December 17, 2007)
The Security Sensor LED Light is a solar powered convenience light with a built-in motion sensor. It is ideal for backyard security and walkway lighting as it turns on whenever movement is detected. With a removable solar panel on a 16-foot cord, it can also be used for lighting garden sheds, outhouses or interior rooms. Since it is solar powered, it is easy for anyone to install. Specifications: Bulb brightness:15pcs super bright 12,000 mcd LEDs Motion sensor passive infrared 100 coverage, 15m / 15′ range Solar panel 75mm x 150mm / 3″ x 6″ weather resistant solar panel / Battery 2 – 3 years 3.6V 800 maH Ni-MH battery UV protected housing Mounting options: house, pole, roof Easy installation: No wiring No electrical installation No battery change No electrical cost No bulb maintenance
- Bulb brightness:15pcs super bright 12,000 mcd LEDs
- Motion sensor passive infrared 100
- Battery 2 – 3 years 3.6V 800 maH Ni-MH battery
- UV protected housing
- Mounting options: house, pole, roof
Edamame soybeans’ flavor is nutty, buttery and truly irresistible fresh from the garden and they pack top nutritional value. Cook them quickly, right in their pods for appetizers and snacks or use like fresh beans in any recipe. We import our seed from Japan, where edamame are a long-standing favorite. These widely adapted 2 foot tall bush plants offer consistently high yields of large 3 to 3-1/2 inch green pods with 3 to 4 plump and tasty beans per pod.
Once you pick these tasty beans all you have to do is toss them in a pot, still in their pods, of salty water. Boil for 5 or 6 minutes and you have a guilt free snack.
- This grows two feet tall with high yields.
- Packed with nutrition and easy to prepare
- Wait until your weather warms up before planting
- Just boil it in salted water and you have a great snack.
Your patio, balcony, rooftop, front stoop, boulevard, windowsill, planter box, or fire escape is a potential fresh food garden waiting to happen. In Grow Great Grub, Gayla Trail, the founder of the leading online gardening community (YouGrowGirl.com), shows you how to grow your own delicious, affordable, organic edibles virtually anywhere.
Grow Great Grub packs in tips and essential information about:
- Choosing a location and making the most of your soil (even if it’s less than perfect)
- Building a raised bed, compost bin, and self-watering container using recycled materials
- Keeping pests and diseases away from your plants—the toxin-free way
- Growing bountiful crops in pots and selecting the best heirloom varieties
- Cultivating hundreds of plants, from blueberries to Thai basil, to the best tomatoes you’ll ever taste
- Canning, and preserving to make the most of your garden’s generosity
- Green-friendly, cost-saving, growing, and building projects that are smart and stylish
- And much more!
Whether you’re looking to eat on a budget or simply experience the pleasure of picking tonight’s meal from right outside your door, this is the must-have book for small-space gardeners—no backyard required.
GAYLA TRAIL is the creator of the acclaimed top gardening website yougrowgirl.com. Her work as a writer and photographer has appeared in publications including The New York Times, Newsweek, Budget Living, and ReadyMade. A resident of Toronto who has grown a garden on her rooftop for more than 10 years, she is the author of You Grow Girl: The Groundbreaking Guide to Gardening.
This solar powered stepping stone adds a great value to each home. Accents the garden by day and creates an illuminated pathway by night. Four super bright amber LEDs in each stone ignite a cozy light show at night. Elegantly crafted while built with heavy duty and durable poly-resin. Supports up to 250 lbs. Auto Dusk-To-Dawn mode and rechargeable Ni-MH AAA battery included.
- Powered by one AAA size rechargeable Ni cad battery (included)
- Each stone is installed with four energy-efficient amber color LED
- Installed with Crystalline Solar Cell & advanced circuitry
- Extra wide lighting chamber to diffuse Ultra Bright illumination
- Material: Plastic Resin / Garden Green Color
Watch vegetables grow before your eyes with this exciting and educational kit. Includes wooden tube holder, three 5.5″ plastic root viewers, growing medium, seeds and instructions.
- From sprouting to full harvest, the Root Viewer allows you to observe vegetables growing right before your eyes.
- Complete with enough seeds for several plantings, this kit includes a quality wooden stand, three plastic root toobers, growing medium, radish, carrot, green onion seeds and instructions.
- Package Dimensions: 8.25in x 6.5in x 3in.
- Ages 5 years and up.